Local Business SEO is the practice of trying to get your website to rank with Google and promote your business via search engines by local geographical area.
By incorporating local SEO into your marketing strategy, people are able to go online and find your business in your city and town. This results in targeted visitors to your website because they are searching for a location specific business.
Why Should You Incorporate Local Business SEO
People are always looking for local services and if you are not showing up in the local Google business listings, it’s like saying "I’m not good enough, I’m not relevant." If you are not doing it already, then you are not building a brand for a business. It's important to try to build an appropriate image for your business in order to be taken seriously.
What Businesses Benefit from Local SEO
Businesses that benefit the most from incorporating local SEO tactics into their marketing strategy are:
- People who have a physical location - a brick and mortar business. Some examples would be a bank or a doctor’s office.
- People without a physical location, but who work in a restricted area with a limited distance target audience. For example, a tutor or piano teacher wouldn’t want to drive more than an hour out of their target area because then they would be wasting their profits on gas.
Keep in mind, that it is not just local residents are are searching for local businesses. Your business listing can also be found by people who live outside of your geographical area who happen to need your services while traveling in your area.
For example, let’s say you are on vacation out of state and you need an emergency dentist because you chipped your tooth. The first place you are going to look online is for a dentist in that area and most likely you will choose the first, most relevant results in Google even though you don’t live in that area. So local business listings are helpful for everyone, not just locals.
The Best Ways to Incorporate local business SEO into your website:
- Adding your business to search engine business listings and verifying your listing. This includes Google, Bing, Yahoo, Manta, and Four Square etc. It's really important to fill out your business listing completely. This includes business name, address, phone number, description, business hours, business categories, images, and contact information.
- Having a consistent business name, address, and phone number (NAP) on every citation across the internet. This is extremely important for your local SEO. Google crawls all business directory sites and looks for consistency in all of them.
- Pay attention to the quality of your business listing: Is it related to niche? Take the time to add photos and social media links to your citation and to fill out your listing thoroughly.
- Use your NAP on every page of your website. It's important to list your business name, address, and phone number either in the header, footer, or sidebar so that way it can appear on every page of your website.
- Use a business phone number with a local area code. This is a strong signal to Google that your business is actually local.
- Have reviews on your business listings: You may need to ask your customers for reviews, but well worth the effort. If you get negative reviews, you need to respond them and show the customer how you can correct the negative experience.
So bottom line, incorporating local search engine optimization best practices into your website and marketing strategy can result in increased exposure to targeted leads and ultimately more income for your business.